About Me

My photo
Tennessee, United States
Retired teacher living in East Tennessee, adjusting to life in the land of round door knobs. Photographer for our local animal shelter and foster of many dogs and kitties. Don't ask me how many dogs I have, but my son got me one of those "I'm the crazy dog lady" sweatshirts.

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/A_Peabody

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Smartboard Infomercial


Some of the Baumholder Middle/High School faculty members participated in making this tongue-in-cheek infomercial for the Smartboard recently. I think it's funny, and I don't think it's just because I know all of these people! And now everyone can see it on YouTube.

I don't have a Smartboard yet, although they did install an Infocus projector from the ceiling of the classroom and I am using it to project stuff from my laptop more and more, instead using of the chalkboard. The overhead is sitting on the floor in the back of the room. The last lightbulb went out and asking the supply man or admin for a replacement was an act of futility. 

Side note on the nature of paradigm shifts. Once the technological shift starts, there is NO support for old technology. Fewer than half the classrooms have a Smartboard or an Infocus machine, yet supply and admin don't seem to comprehend that those still relying on overhead projectors (poor sods) still need light bulbs for their projectors. Arg.

It was a tough adjustment, and I'm not fully adjusted. Some of my summer will be spent creating presentations on the computer that I used to do on the overhead. But I'm comforted knowing that while if the lightbulb in the Infocus projector goes out, I will have no projector and will have to pick up a piece of chalk and use the chalkboard. However, if the piece of chalk breaks, I will have two pieces instead of one! Math is weird that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment