About Me

My photo
Tennessee, United States
Retired teacher living in East Tennessee, adjusting to life in the land of round door knobs. Photographer for our local animal shelter and foster of many dogs and kitties. Don't ask me how many dogs I have, but my son got me one of those "I'm the crazy dog lady" sweatshirts.

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/A_Peabody

Monday, November 10, 2008

The Next Civil Rights Movement

Even as America celebrates bringing down the race and gender barrier to the White House, the not-so-new prejudice against homosexuals, currently exemplified by Proposition 8 in California, shows we still have a long way to go on our road to spiritual perfection. Homosexuals are always going to be a minority. It's just a statistical reality, and they should not have to depend on the majority to allow them basic civil rights. These should be guaranteed by the Constitution.

It is not a crime to be a homosexual. People who are homosexual pay taxes, hold jobs, buy property, raise children, and have the same basic needs and desires as anyone else. They want what we all want, security, love of family, and to be a welcome part of the broader community. Like the children of Martin Luther King, they each deserve to be judged on the content of their character, not on a genetic disposition that God gave them. 

Jesus didn't waste time chastising people for their sexual practices. He was too busy ministering to their souls. The only group he got really mad at was the moneychangers. Like him, I despise thieves, but people who are loving and law-abiding? Isn't that what we want? To some, a philandering heterosexual male is still preferable and more forgivable than a loving, monogamous homosexual male, despite the clear lack of character of the former.

When my children were teenagers and asked me about this topic, I told them, I don't care who you love, but I care that you treat people well. Don't cheat in a relationship. Be faithful. Be kind. These are the qualities that I believe Jesus demands of us. These are the qualities that matter.

There is so much suffering in the world. We should be addressing that, not imposing undeserved suffering on our brothers and sisters. He died for us all
He loves us all.
No exceptions. 

Jesus Making a Heart
, pencil drawing by Jaison Cianelli
You can purchase Jaison's art at Cianelli studios.