About Me

My photo
Tennessee, United States
Retired teacher living in East Tennessee, adjusting to life in the land of round door knobs. Photographer for our local animal shelter and foster of many dogs and kitties. Don't ask me how many dogs I have, but my son got me one of those "I'm the crazy dog lady" sweatshirts.

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/A_Peabody

Saturday, January 13, 2007

October 2006 - Don


On October 16, 2006, Jim's father passed away and we flew back to the States for his funeral. He had been very frail and in declining health for a long time, but not uncomfortable. His final decline was relatively fast and we are glad that he did not suffer long. We learned of his death during our first period classes at school and were able to make arrangements to fly home the next day. Thus, we were able to go with Jim's brother and help in the planning of the services. I was able to get a quartet together to sing, something I was unable to do for Jim's mother, when she passed away. I hope she appreciated it this time! We sang "God Will Take Care of You," an oldie that I'm sure Don appreciated.

We enjoyed the visits with the family and appreciated that so many people came to show their respect and love for Don. He was a good man, a busy, productive man. I'm sure the last years, when he was so helpless and dependent, were hard on him, because he was such a doer for others in his life, but there are some things that I expect we just can't avoid, no matter how much we would like to.

Today, as I write this would have been his 96th birthday. Happy, Birthday, Don!

No comments:

Post a Comment