About Me

My photo
Tennessee, United States
Retired teacher living in East Tennessee, adjusting to life in the land of round door knobs. Photographer for our local animal shelter and foster of many dogs and kitties. Don't ask me how many dogs I have, but my son got me one of those "I'm the crazy dog lady" sweatshirts.

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/A_Peabody

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Paella

I got a nice surprise last week after our students returned from a week's break. One of my 8th grade girls came up and said, "Mrs. G, I have a present for you."
Not expecting this, my response was rather short, "Why?"
"Because I went to Spain," was the answer, which made some more sense of the situation, because I am her Spanish teacher.
Inside a plastic bag was this lovely little paella pan complete with foil sealed paella, ready to cook for dinner. Need I say that few students would be this thoughtful? Heck, I'm not that thoughtful, so I was really touched, but, being me, had to use this to tease the rest.
I held up the box and said, "Look everyone, C-- likes me. She brought me a paella pan from Spain."
So, one of the boys came up and said, "I like you, too, Mrs. G. Here's a cough drop," and he gave me a cough drop.
Not to be outdone, one of the girls came up and said, "I like you, too, Mrs. G. Here's a hug from Italy," and she gave me a hug.
"Thanks," I responded, "but I'm sure glad you didn't go to France."
The paella was a nice surprise and we had it for supper. It felt like a random act of kindness, because it was so unexpected. Thanks, again, C--!