About Me

My photo
Tennessee, United States
Retired teacher living in East Tennessee, adjusting to life in the land of round door knobs. Photographer for our local animal shelter and foster of many dogs and kitties. Don't ask me how many dogs I have, but my son got me one of those "I'm the crazy dog lady" sweatshirts.

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/A_Peabody

Monday, June 25, 2007

Kansas City Sights to See


We've been in Kansas City and decided to visit the new World War I museum, which is under the monument built just after the war and close to Union Station. The museum is beautifully designed. They did an especially good job on their videos. One is shown on a very wide piece of muslin hung behind a battlefield replica, so the film seems to spill on to the battlefield. They had very interesting artifacts and we found it captivating. I took a picture of the sign above. Now we know where that expression came from!

After lunch at the Plaza, we moved to the Nelson Art Gallery. They have a very nice collection as well. We prefer looking at the very old art from ancient civilizations, but they also have some very nice modern art. We enjoyed the Chinese furniture collection. There was one modern piece, I forget the artist, of Venus rising, except she's hidden by a big piece of canvas. It was a spoof of the original, and cleverly done. Another piece I liked was one done by a modern artist (I'm sure he's famous, but I'm hopelessly undereducated in this area). He had done a life cast of his head and one arm. His head is resting on his hand, who's elbow is on a table and he's looking down at a chessboard. Clever and interesting. Sorry, no picture. Should have taken one.

Before we left, Eric communed with this lovely lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment