About Me

My photo
Tennessee, United States
Retired teacher living in East Tennessee, adjusting to life in the land of round door knobs. Photographer for our local animal shelter and foster of many dogs and kitties. Don't ask me how many dogs I have, but my son got me one of those "I'm the crazy dog lady" sweatshirts.

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/A_Peabody

Monday, December 29, 2008

Superdelusional

From the Believe It or Not category.
For Mr Invisible, the first and last blow to his burgeoning career as a superhero was an unexpected punch that flattened his nose.

“After months of designing my costume, getting my street moves just right, it was my first week out as a Real Life Superhero – and probably my last. This tiny, tiny girl did not like me trying to calm down her screaming boyfriend. She blindsided me, I’m still bruised. It’s dangerous out there,” said the deflated would-be crime fighter last week.

Mr Invisible is cheered that at least his grey one-piece “invisibility suit” works, proven when a drunk urinated on him in an alley. But he is weary of lurking in dark, down-town Los Angeles after dark.

So begins the article: 
Amateur crimefighters: Holy Spandex! A herd of heroes by John Harlow at Timesonline.co.uk. It's hilarious. My favorite line from the article:
Artemis of San Diego reported on his blog that he had heard a woman screaming outside his home but by the time he had dressed up in his costume the police were already there.
Apparently there is a herd of heroes on the loose in the world, inspired perhaps by comic books, TV shows like Who Wants to Be a Superhero , and dire world circumstances, but all kidding aside, it seems both a bit creepy and loopy. I can't help but think that anyone who would do this is not quite right in the head, perhaps having trouble distinguishing between reality and fantasy. After all, if you want to fight crime or terrorists, it is possible to join the police,  FBI or military. If you're not qualified physically or mentally to do that, then chances are you aren't superhero caliber either. Vigilantism doesn't lead to better communities.

Be sure and check out the World Superhero Registry
HERE . There are photos and information about currently registered superheroes. Maybe there's one in your city you can avoid.

Image from 
SciFi.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment